From home decor to Halloween costumes and fun recipes, Halloween is all about letting the imagination take over! We know it’s exciting to dress up and trek door to door for sweets, so we’re offering just a few tips on safety when it comes to costumes and collecting candy.
- Make sure costumes are visible at night. Reflector strips and flashlights help drivers better see pedestrians out and about for the evening.
- Try to avoid masks as part of a costume. Many masks, especially for kids, make it very difficult to see properly, making obstacles more difficult to see. Opt for face paint and make-up instead!
- Always cross streets at corners where crosswalks and signals are located.
The National Safety Council adds:
- Ensure that all costume materials are fire resistant and be sure any makeup is non-toxic.
- Instruct children not to eat any treats until they return home from trick-or-treating.
- If older kids are going out without an adult, make sure they know to stay together.
Finally, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention recommends:
- Never walk with lit candles or luminaries.
- Ensure that swords and knives are made of soft and bendable material.
- Walk and don’t run from house to house.
Stay safe out there and share your Halloween fun with us on social media! Tag #WhitneyRanchCA in your posts.