Thursday October 29, 2020
Ah, the PSL. It rings with a fervor of fall and crisp morning air. Has everyone made their annual first trip to Starbucks or the local coffee shop for a pumpkin spice latte? One of the best feelings is waking up early to go holiday gift shopping for loved ones, grabbing a PSL on the way, and sipping as you shop. Or how about the feeling of meeting up with a loved one during the holidays and sharing stories over a cup of coffee? Drinks are special this way and bond us in ways we don’t always realize.
This week, we wanted to show you how you can get the classic PSL taste at home. We developed our own recipe and found a Starbucks copycat rendition online to share with you! These recipes are super easy and can be made hot or iced, depending on your mood. Save money and time, and try out a homemade PSL this week.
OUR RECIPE: Pumpkin Spice Latte (Two Ways!)
- Espresso or strong black coffee
- 1 cup milk of choice (oat milk preferred)
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin puree
- ½ tbsp. sugar
- ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Dash of nutmeg
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional for topping)
- Brew one shot of espresso or ½ cup of strong black coffee. For an iced drink, put in the fridge or freezer to chill.
- On medium heat, combine milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and vanilla extract in a saucepan. Add in espresso / black coffee if making hot.
- Stir continuously and adjust for sugar.
- For a cold drink, repeat step #2 off the heat, making sure to whisk well and pour over chilled espresso and ice.
This Starbucks copycat recipe requires fewer ingredients than our recipe and all come together in one saucepan on the stove. Using white granulated sugar and pumpkin puree, you will get the sweetened natural pumpkin flavor you crave. Pro tip: Make sure to whisk well to dissolve any pumpkin lumps. Enjoy!
Try out a pumpkin spice latte recipe at home for yourself this week and let us know what you think. Happy fall, everyone!